Collection: Reg Butler 1913 - 1981 Follow
Reginald Cotterell Butler was a British sculptor. He worked as an architect before the war, and had performed his war service as a blacksmith making tools and repairing agricultural machinery, so was well acquainted with working, forging and welding iron.
At the end of the war he briefly resumed his architectual practice in London and started to attend art classes at the Chelsea School of Art. His first solo exhibition was held at the Hanover Gallery in London in 1949. The following year he preceded Kenneth Armitage in receiving The Gregory Fellowship awarded by Leeds University.
He turned to sculpture in 1944, even spending a brief period in 1948 as an assistant to Henry Moore.